Tuesday 10 May 2011

Exercise Physiology and Functional Biomechanics...

Big impressive sounding words...but what do they actually mean??

And what relevance do they have to you as a patient??

I'll make it pretty simple...those words basically mean I spent four years studying exactly how you should move...and then spent another four years telling elite athletes these exact things...

"...but Caolan, I'm not trying to compete in the Olympics...I just want to lose this..." 

(note: at this stage the said patient is usually grabbing at their stomach or other area they feel they need to lose weight from)

...so, why would me telling you how you move help?? Simple, firstly it will make sure that your technique is correct and this means that your chosen form of exercise will work the exact muscles you want it to...

...secondly, if the exercise is performed correctly you're less likely to injure yourself in your sporting endeavours...and let's be honest, although I love seeing my patients, it's annoying for both them and me when I have to constantly treat things that are incredibly preventable...


The other point in all of this - as much as my extra studies (yes, extra - this isn't something every chiropractor studies) help me to help you to move properly, I can also help you in what to do when you are not moving...


"...oh, so you're telling me how I should rest now??"...in a short answer, yes...I'm telling you how you should recover - and that means stretching...but I will also tell you how you should be working too...


Now, I could run through all the different things you should think about at work...but everyone of you has a different job and a different build, with different strengths and weaknesses...so you really need someone to individually assess you, and tell you how you can change your postural habits and physical workspace to ensure you stay in the best physical shape possible...

At the end of the day, most people come to see me because they're in pain...and they're usually in pain, not because of one incident but because they have done the same little thing wrong - over and over again...and that's what the study of exercise physiology and biomechanics can help me identify and you overcome...

No comments:

Post a Comment